Thursday, July 3, 2014

A sisterhood of pink laces

I was turning pages of a very old album, its pages were coming off, most photos were tiny and they had this neat little white frill running around them. Something like this to be exact: 

Sadly I don't have the real photos of which I am writing about... :/

So, as I was going through this ancient album of my grandparents' engagement party, I saw even through the faded black and white and peeling off surface of the aged photos, how pretty my grandmother was dressed! 
She was wrapped in what looked like a white lace sari, a simple hair do, but she was such a beauty. My grandfather wasn't lying about her charms when he did talk about it with us: I always caught the twinkle in his eyes as he spoke of those early days of courtship... 

So I inquired from her about the sari, and to my absolute delight and surprise she said that the sari had been baby pink! 
"How sweet that would have been" I thought out loud. 
She simply smiled and went about her business as usual. 
A baby pink cotton lace sari! I kept repeating to myself. 

"It would have been quite expensive?" I asked her. 
She smiled as she looked at me and said; "Well, I made it myself, as I do your ones these days" 
"Of course!" why would I think otherwise? 

She is some 70 odd years old, but she still fondles with her old machine, tomato shaped pin cushion full of needles, a huge basket full of all colours of thread and lots and lots of beautiful fabric; making wonderful things! 
It is magical to watch her at work, earnestly bringing in to life images she creates in her head. 
No, she does not refer to anything! 
Just off her head she begins work and ends it so beautifully. 
O, thinking of her brings tears to my eyes... What a wonderful woman... 
'Archamma', I call her.

She tells me tales about her mother, who my mother says was even better than my grandmother. 
Lol 
I suppose grandmothers just become a girl's ideal - at least in our family that seems to be true :) 

My great-grandmother was quite the perfectionist - she was petite, proud, always well dressed and carried herself with poise and purpose - says my mom and grandmother 

My grandmother is humble, sweet and so talented - she sews so beautifully, she is a passionate lover of the art of gardening and she bakes deliciously (O, there is nothing like her love cake! - she told me that she baked a love cake for her engagement too - must have put her in-laws right in the basket! lol) 

My mother again is a perfectionist (traits skip a generation they say) - a neat-o-holic she wants everything just right. She also does the prettiest flower decor I've seen done in SL - of course that may be a subjective opinion, but when was an opinion ever objective? :)

My aunts (5 of them) are also equally skilled in different areas, like doing make-up, sewing, singing, cooking, organizing, managing, teaching etc. etc. 

And I've got a bit of all! 
Lucky Me right? 


~Portia~



No comments:

Post a Comment